Frankenstein SAL Preview


It is with great pleasure that I present our next SAL selection, Mary Shelley's Frankenstein. Sign-up will begin in early August with a start date at the end of August. We will be finishing this project with the Halloween season.

More information will become available the closer we get to August but I wanted to provide you with some preliminary information so that you can begin to think about your materials. 

This SAL will have no called-for materials.

Pardon? Did I read that correctly? Yes, that's right! There will be no called-for materials. I want you to contemplate about what comes to mind when you hear of Frankenstein and choose your materials based on what you feel will best represent the story for you. Here are some details to better help you with this decision:
  • This SAL is a very traditional sampler. 
  • It consists of only one color of floss. I do not yet have a skein count but my best guess is 3-4. I will have this information by the time sign-up begins.
  • Whatever color of fabric you choose you want to choose a contrasting floss color. For example, if you choose black fabric, you will want a light colored or bright colored floss so that it stands out against the fabric.
  • The design area is 103 X 130 stitches which is approximately 7.4 X 9.3 inches on 14 count fabric. Suggested fabric size is at least 14 X 17 inches so that it can easily be finished into a matted 11 X 14 frame. But it will fit into an non-matted 8 X 10 frame if you wish to work with a smaller piece of fabric.
I will be stitching on 28 count white Lugana with DMC 3364 Pine Green floss.

I have not designed a Mini SAL to go along with this read, but I may if time allows me, as this is quite a large amount of stitching.

Because of the large amount of stitching this SAL requires, for the first time I will be releasing a part of the design upon sign-up so that you can get a head start on the border before the reading and SAL actually begin. This will allow for those of you with minimal stitching time to keep up with our schedule better.

I am exceedingly excited about this SAL because Frankenstein is one of my favorite novels. It was the first classic that came to mind after Pride and Prejudice when I was developing the idea for this group. For those of you who have never read the novel and only know Frankenstein from the Hollywood films, I think you will be surprised by what you find. It is a beautiful, sad, and haunting look at human nature and the cruelty found within it. I can't wait to discuss it with all of you and to see what unique choices you make for your materials.

That is all of the information I am able to provide to you at this point. Remember to follow along on Instagram and Facebook for the latest updates. You can also subscribe to email notifications for this blog by clicking on the side toolbar and entering your email.

Finally, I would like to offer a warm congratulations to the Frankenstein SAL giveaway winners: Tabitha Cary on Facebook, booksteaandstitches on Instagram, sagonza3 on Instagram, and Amanda Hellwig on Facebook.

Thank you to everyone that participated. You are all more appreciated than I can express! 

Comments

  1. I’m thrilled I’ve found you & your SALs! I’m an avid reader, but I have not read Frankenstein-so I’m really excited to tackle it!!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm thrilled you have found me, too! So happy to have you joining us.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am beyond excited for this! Frankenstein is one of my very favorite novels. I am super intrigued by the single floss color and I might even try out a fancy floss instead of my typical DMC. Now to find my annotated copy from my college Lit class...it's only been 15 years...I'm sure I can find it 😂

      Delete
  3. Just sitting here this evening reading about the new SAL with DMC 3364 on my needle, using on a project and thinking what a nice green this is. 😆 Looking forward to Frankenstein.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. What a funny coincidence! It really is a lovely green.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Railroading Your Stitches

Blackbird Freebie

Frankenstein Discussion Questions